Wednesday, March 03, 2004

So, since I am putting a lot of time and effort into this site and all of its areas, I got started thinking about divvying up time between the physical world and the digital world. There are those (and this is a really annoying point of view, in my opinion) who say that online presence is a waste of time. That developing all this content for faceless strangers is time wasted compared to time that could be spent with real people, doing real activities.

First of all, part of the reason for all of bhofmeister13.com is to set up a platform for marketing myself. Part of it is also for fun. Part of it is even social.

But, I do have to say that I've been neglecting some of my physical world activities, such as journal-writing long-hand, which is something I've been doing on and off for over ten years now. (wow) One of the things led up to the creation of the found object blog I maintain (which I know desperately needs some sort of cool skin; I'm formulating a look I want, but it will probably take a loooong time to implement) is the fact that I keep what I call "memory boxes." A memory box consists of a small box, a blank book and a pen. I make efforts to procure each of these things once a year. Throughout each year (my birth year, not the Western calendar's) I amass mementos which I put in the box and write journal entries about the objects. They're often typical memento-type objects, but I try and be creative. I mean, there's plenty of ticket stubs, but there's other fun things as well. Anyway, my memory box is one thing I've been neglecting, and since my birthday is coming up, and I have to start thinking about a new box for my new year, I've noticed that I've been neglecting its upkeep.

It's a very specifically digital-age issue dividing one's time between the digital and physical worlds. I guess that's my whole point, as boring and obvious as it may be.