Tuesday, April 13, 2004

I just read an article (this would normally go on my reading site, I know, but bear with me) from the washington post that was again mentioned on boingboing. It's about cattle rustling (you know, stealing cattle) coming back as a result of the demand for beef because of the Atkins diet.

Has it occurred to anyone else that the whole Atkins Diet thing is a conspiracy against ecological stability? I mean, if we all just ate beef, we'd need so much more land devoted to grazing - and there's so much grazing land already! I mean, remember when there was so much talk about killing rain forests to make room for cattle? I'm sure that just didn't stop happening. In fact, with this meat craze, it has to have grown.

I think it's kind of alarming. Whatever happened to moderation? It seems like Atkins is the opposite of that: "you can eat as much as you want of this one thing, but none of this other thing, and it just so happens that the thing you're allowed to eat is a living breathing animal with a brain and the thing you can't eat is a vegetable without a nervous system." I mean, don't get me wrong, I eat meat, but I listen to what vegetarians say, too. It's just a little scary the way atkins has taken off and people just are clamoring for it. I dunno. Just bothers me a little, is all.