Wednesday, April 21, 2004

New Dream, new FOUND object.

Last Friday, I went to a Cubs game with my friend Martha. It actually turned out to be pretty fun. While I was waiting for her outside Wrigley Field, there were all these people everywhere and I was thinking to myself "maybe this is not such a good idea," and getting a bit claustrophobic. But once we sat in our seats, which were in the fourth row right behind the Cubs' dugout, I started to relax. There were all these little kids trying to get the ball players to sign baseballs and Martha and Maria were saying how you have to be a cute little kid to get an autograph and how unfair it was.

I was really surprised by my enjoyment, as I am not normally much of a sports person. I even found myself strategizing my bathroom visit, because I was trying to figure a time where I'd miss the least fun.

Some things I noticed at the game:


  • When there's a cause for celebration, the fans all cheer in unison and then they sort of give high-fives or other forms of encouragement to one another even if they don't know each other. It reminded me of a catholic mass where the priest tells the congregation to introduce themselves and say "Peace be with you" and "and also with you."
  • The starting pitcher, the last name of Mitre was quite young.
  • There was a heckler behind us who was mostly annoying but sometimes pretty funny. My favorite: when two runs were batted in with a home run and the heckler said to the third base coach, last name Kim, "Way to wave 'em in, Kim."
  • Martha wanted Kim's job of third base coach.
  • Maria thought Martha said "I want his butt." That was funny.
  • During the 7th inning, there was some sort of conflict about whether a hit was fair or foul and the umpire was recalling it. Like he'd already called it fair and was now recanting. This pissed people off big time. The people in the stands in the outfield began throwing garbage into the field in rebellion. Suddenly, a battallion of garbage boys descended upon the field with garbage cans and picked up the garbage.
  • Later, the heckler yelled to the ump about a caught pop fly: "Is he out?" Pointing out that even obvious plays are up for debate. That was funny too.


I left during the bottom of the seventh with the Cubs down by three. I gave the Cubs a couple of chances. Including "if Sosa hits a home run now, I'll stay, but if not, then I'm leaving." And also, "If Gonzalez hits a home run now, I won't go, but if he doesn't then I am leaving." They didn't, so I left. From the time I walked out the door to walking the length of the park toward where I parked my scooter, the crowd roared three times, and I though "maybe they will win." I stopped at Pepper Lounge on my way home and was told there that they did indeed win, scoring 7 runs in the last inning. Oh well, it was still fun while I was there. Maybe I'll go again this year if it comes up.