Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Art Chicago 2004 Part 1

On monday, I took off work early and went to ArtChicago, which is a pretty huge art exhibition. I actually worked as a floor manager for it 4 years ago and it was a great experience. I saw a bunch of people I knew both socially and people from the art world (and those that intersect) and so it was fun in that way too.

I try and make it every year, but I almost always forget about it until the last minute and end up rushing through it.

This year I tried to document as much as I could. Here were some of my favorites along with comments.



This one was called "Nina's Friends" and was executed by a female artist named Sun-Rae Kim while she was pregnant. I thougt they were so cute. If you could see the detailing, you might be able to tell that many of them are made from cut straws and others from fine japanese paper.



My friend Tamara insisted this one was her favorite artist (Man Hyeok Yim), and at first I couldn't tell why. But upon closer inspection (which you won't be able to do), I saw that painting is executed on handmade paper and alot of the detailing uses the natural fibers of the paper as sort of a guide. Up close and in person, it's very nice.



The diamond dogs I don't know any details about, but they were cool looking.



This piece was one of the first that caught my eye at the show. It's a series of color photos hung, unframed, of what I'm assuming is the artist, Jemima Stehli getting dressed in front of three different male subjects. The males hold the little plunger that controls taking the pictures. I'm assuming she merely instructed them to click pictures when they thought they'd look good or whatever. Interestingly, she's the object of his concentration, but we see her back and his face, so he becomes the subject more than she. It's a perspectival triangle that touches on desire, vanity, the viewer/art dynamic and more.



The image is of an adult walking with a child through a park or something. The child is pointing back at what looks like some sort of conflagration, like a burning bush or something, and inside the fire is a figure of a person. The painterly, thick brush within that fiery part is really nice in contrast with the flatness of the rest of the painting. And the burning figure inside the bush is eery and provocative. The painting is by Dan Attoe, I think and he's represented by Wendy Cooper Gallery here in Chicago, so I may go there again to look at more.



It's hard to get from this photo, but this is a photo collage mounted on this architectual wood construct that uses a third dimension to enhance the perspective of the view of the image. It's quite cool in person. I should have taken a picture of the side, so you'd get an idea of the depth (it came off the wall about10 inches at the furthest point, I'd say). This artist had several of these, but I can't figure out from my notes which his or her name is now. Whoops.

The following three are all images from the wonderful world of comic books and they were made by Mark Newport. They all use knitting and embroidery to emulate or affect comic books, which is kind of interesting. It seems to sort of touch on a sort of feminine quality about comic books. Or maybe I'm just projecting?