Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have nightmares tonight

So, for a little while I've had some mice problems in my apartment. Sometimes at night I would here the sound of crunching. And during the day I'd find little mouse poops on my kitchen countertop. I'm pretty wishy-washy about doing anything about it, but John was like, "we need to get some poison." I didn't argue.

I found the first corpse a few weeks back. It was sitting on a carpet near my back door, with rigor mortis already set in. I scooped it up with a shopping bag and put it in the garbage. John had been a little concerned that Racecar might want to play with the dead mice and eat one or something, thus being poisoned himself. He hadn't seen this one before me (I found it in the morning before he got to the back door), so it still seemed like a possibility.

Today when I got home from the grocery store, I moved a chair in my art studio and underneath it was a dead mouse. I said to myself, "how long has that been there?" It looked a little ragged, like its fur was, just, matted down or something. So, I grab a plastic Apple Store shopping bag and scoop it up and I found out that it must have been sitting for a little while, at least, because after I picked it up there was a pile of writhing maggots all wondering where there food had gone. It was probably the most disgustingest thing I've ever seen in real life. Ugh. Now I can't even finish my Taco Bell, either.