Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Cada de Cerda

On Sunday night I went to see Pigface with my friend Dawn. I went thinking it would be at best a nostalgic idle. A diversion. It turned out to be a pretty damn spectacular show.

Pigface, for those not knowing, was this sort of all-star industrial band. Like, the Travelling Wilburys of the industrial set. Originally, members included the likes of even Trent Reznor. I don't remember who all was in it originally (they're website lists like 50 people for the total to ever perform with them) - nor do I know who all was even present on Sunday. I know En Esch from KMFDM was there, as well as the bassist, Charles Levi, from My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult. Martin Atkins, drummer extraordinaire from P.I.L., Ministry and Nine Inch Nails was our percussionist.

Is anyone familiar with the guy who is a minor celebrity because he's tattooed all over his body with jigsaw puzzle pieces? He goes by The Enigma Well, he was in Pigface for this show. He played guitar, sung, and played the chainsaw, too. He also did some sword swallowing. His girlfriend, the girl who looks like a cat, complete with prosthetic whiskers. Very cute. At the end, she did flame eating.

The set started with Hanin Elias (from Atari Teenage Riot) singing alone on stage with these white barricades behind her. Soon they were backlit and you could see that there were many people behind the screen.

Overall, the performance was much more entertaining than I remember Pigface being the last time I saw them. They were polished and didn't improvise which seemed to be common when I saw them. The energy was great and the crowd was really into it.

Dawn's not really familiar with "Industrial Music," so she didn't know what to expect. I think she enjoyed herself though.

Oh, also, guess who opened? Sheep On Drugs!!! I kid you not. Sheep on Drugs. I instantly remembered the name and that they had one hit on Q101 so long ago, but I couldn't remember the song. Sure enough they played it and the memories came flooding back. Ah, the nineties.