Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Party Time

I just got back from a birthday party. My friend Jordan. He's not a close friend. He turned 22. Gosh. Young.

I will turn 30 in a couple weeks.

I skateboarded to and from this party.

On Skateboarding
How I long for the long flat smooth streets of the suburbs.

How I long for my lack of joint ache with every push of the board. For the lack of pulsing feet after a ride.

Maybe I don't really long for these things. Maybe I just miss them. Am nostalgic about them.


The party was pretty fun. I just got finished telling John we needed to stop staying up late, and then I go out to a party til after midnight and on my way home think of wishing I could go out more. I'm 30. I want to experience more. Soon I won't want to. Maybe. Who knows how it will go?

At the party, someone said that Michael Jackson had hung himself. It was pretty believable, though I didn't believe it. Someone finally called their mother to get some verification. According to her, he had not killed himself.

Also at the party, we talked about where we were for the world trade center attack. It came up because during the Michael Jackson rumor, we all thought history was happening.

Also at the party I heard about someone's installation/thesis for the School of the Art Institute grad program. So we also talked about missing academia.

Today I rearranged my apartment a bit. I'd recently started getting a little down on my apartment because of its lack of natural lighting. But today after changing some stuff around, I had a more positive feeling about the place, so that's good. Sometimes we can change our world in little ways so they feel better in big ways.

Anyway, I moved my closet from one area of the apartment to another. This made my number of shoes look INSANE. As I moved my stuff, I realized I would need a new shelf for a place to put my sweaters in the new closet location. Not 15 minutes after this realization, I was in my studio and a guy came up to my door (my studio opens out onto the street and there's a big gate there so I can have the door open and still be secure). He came up and told me he was selling a black metal shelf for 18.32 (to buy his baby girl's asthma medicine; he brandished an inhaler for me to see as he said this). He was moving from an apartment across the street to somewhere "up north." I gave him a twenty and had a new shelf. He helped me carry it from across the street. It seems like the universe keeps handing me things lately. I hope the luck (Karma?) continues.

I won on ebay a vintage microphone amp. The Amp was made by an Italian company called Geloso. So far the only information I can find about this company is specs for items more recently manufactured than this one. It's hella old. Anyway, I can't wait to use it, but I don't really understand how to power it. That's how old it is. I also don't know how I'm going to hook it up to my computer when the time comes. Either way, I think I'm gonna have to make some cool sounds with this stuff I'm finding.

Also today for lunch I ate at the Wendy's on Division. This young kinda overweight hispanic kid kept coming up to me and telling me that I worked there. When I said I didn't work there, he told me I did and that I should take off all my clothes and go out into the street. Then he told me my skateboard was his, not mine. Then he brandished his fist toward me and his mom shooed him toward their table. He brandished his fist the whole time I walked away from the Wendy's. It was very cute.



So, my birthday is in a couple weeks, as I've mentioned. I think I want to go bowling. Anyone have an opinion about that?

Someone at the party I was at said I should announce it on friendster. That sounds like a good idea. That would be some party.