Sunday, February 13, 2005

Unholy Union

The other day as I was walking to work, I had the impulse to just set my iPod to play The Arcade Fire's Funeral album again, because it is so goddamn good I just want to listen to it all the time, but for some reason I just let random play and I was not displeased. Pailhead came on. I can't remember exactly which song it was, but I just kept thinking, "how on earth did that ever happen? What weird set of circumstances brought Ian Mackaye, former straight-edge punk rocker and Al Jurgensen, a pretty much strung-out addict, together to make an entire 6-song album? I mean, don't get me wrong - it's a pretty exquisite album. I love nearly every moment of it. But I mean, who'd'a thunk? Surely not me. And I doubt they would have ever believed it themselves.
I don't wanna be a pailhead no more.

* * *
(I always forget the htlm for the stupid little line that I know is just two little letters, but the abbreviation always escapes me, so you'll just have to settle with little stars)
Friday night I went with my friends Frank and Rodney to the members preview of the show entitled Universal Experience at The Museum of Contemporary Art. I had to work, so I got there late in the event and basically just walked through the building at a crisp pace and don't really remember much except that I still don't really like Hirschhorn and a red balloon. I decided, though, that I'd like to take the evening off from work and go again to the next one, but ignore the art and just be social, because the crowd was pretty interesting and fun.
I only took this one picture of Frank's back in this orange-carpeted room.

Outside, a young boy walked back and forth over some flood lamps sunk into the ground. I didn't get to take his picture, but got a few with Rodney walking over them. That was my art-inspired art for the night.




You can just make Rodney out in the last one.
When I got home I watched 13 Conversations About the Same Thing, which I picked up somewhat randomly based on cast at the video store the other day. It was pretty darn good. It was kinda formatted like those non-linear sort of films where there's all these simultaneous storylines with common characters and there's this thread of luck/coincidence/choice. You know what I'm talking about, I'm sure. I'm so sleepy.