Friday, January 21, 2005

some drummers, cities of light, a dream, stuff

There's a new dream with a gratuitous midriff shot of me.

"Yes, I'll break into the Vatican with you."

Alias can kick your ass. I'm about 3/4 through the first season. I loved the delivery of the line:
Get out of my way or I'll make you get out of my way.

Monday night I went to the Empty Bottle again to see Taking Pictures. Noah, their drummer, kicks Alias' ass. he pounds those things with such a synthesis of precision and fury it is something to behold.




Did I mention he was pretty hot? (call me, Noah)

Cobra, former drummer for Appleseed Cast once held the title for most phenomenal drummer with me, but I think Noah has just wrested it.

Taking Pictures mostly performed work from their forthcoming album, but it was nevertheless fully entertaining. Even being unfamiliar with the songs, I was drawn in and the songs were almost familiar, yet not unoriginal in the least.




Opening for Pictures were New York's The Forms, with whom I was quite impressed as well. Their closing number culminated in a raucous and intens rhythmic soundscape which, due to its repetitive quality, had this hypnotic effect. Though loud and dissonant, it slowly became a lullaby in the strictest sense of the word (lulling).



The middle band, Chicago's The Narrator, I'd felt like I'd seen before, and seeing them perform confirmed this suspicion. As I watched them, I thought to myself, "yeah, I'll definitely remember these guys now." But even as I write this, a mere day later, their performance seems to be washing from my memory. Only their name, the face of one of the guitarist/vocalists, and the fact that a live haircut was performed concurrently with their set and never mentioned seem to be trapped in my sieve-like memory.



At the show, I'd had a couple drinks. When I got home and walked Racecar, my dog, he was looking at something and looked so cute, I had to take his picture. looking at the pic, I know it wasn't just the Honey Browns talking. He is an amazing animal and he's the love of my life (besides Noah).



Inspired by MySpace friend, Jason, I went to the Art Institute on Tuesday, free day with my friend Jeff. I took some pictures from a new exhibit featuring new concepts for architecture in Chicago.







As well as a picture of this guy made out of little boxes.



This is Jeff near a contemporary piece. Isn't he hot? OK, it's a blurry pic, so just trust me, he's a cute guy.



After the art institute, we went to H&M to go shopping. It was here that I bought, among other things, a new belt that was featured in the dream mentioned at the beginning of this post. On the way, we stopped in the actual water tower building. Jeff showed me this crazy room I didn't know existed. There was a quaint sign that made me laugh.



Well, the flash washed it out, but it actually says
RESTRICTED AREA THIS DOOR IS TO LOCKED AT ALL TIMES

When we tested the door, it was open. In the spirit of adventure, we went inside and snuck around. I felt like Alias.





Tuesday night I went out to see my friend Drew's band, MANDROID! I've added the exclamation mark, as I think it makes the name better.



Frankly, MANDROID! needs quite a bit of work. It was their first show. I know it's Drew's first foray into music making. That said, he was the best thing about Mandroid! He's their drummer.



As an aside, I'd add that Drew auditioned to be in my old band Farewell Society, at one time. At that time, Drew was, how shall I say this delicately? Bad. Frankly, Drew couldn't really even keep a beat very well. Going into the audition, we really wanted Drew to work because he is such a great guy (and also he had a built-in rehearsal space in his kick-ass apartment), but alas it did not. I'm very impressed with Drew's progress over the last couple years (has it been years already since the debacle of losing our first drummer? I don't feel like calculating it, as I fear it will make me feel like I'm about to turn thirty - oh yeah, I am. Soon. Hint: I'd like a new tattoo for my b-day.)