Saturday, February 05, 2005

A New Era

:::Attention - I interrupt your regularly scheduled blog with this urgent announcement:::

Okay, some things are about to change.

Today I installed dsl service in my home. This means I have access to my luvah, the Internet, at home. This also means that some of my long-term plans on my presence on said Internet are going to be coming to fruition.

One of the most dramatic changes will be the consolidation of some of my blogs. I think I will no longer be using different pages for FOUND, DREAMS, BOOKS, or any of the other specialty text-rich blogs. Naturally, I will maintain a seperate art page, as it is primarily image-driven and usually is static except when new work is added.

It is also my goal to start making music in my home studio. As of now, there is no home studio, but I am going to begin researching how to remedy this by using my Luvah, the Internet.

So, start expecting to see changes in due time. I believe this will also result in an overhaul of the general site design. Specifically, the nav will eventually be moved to the top so I can start using images larger than the crappy 410 pixels that I've been using for the last 3 months or so.

If anybody knows of any good shareware that acts anything like apple's garageband, please let me know.

Peace.

:::We now continue with the previously scheduled blog which is brought to you in its entirety. Thank you for your patience:::

Last monday I went to a show at the Empty Bottle with my friend Gnat. I saw a band called The Emily Shrine, whom I've liked for quite a while. I first heard them when I came upon their CD when I was writing for In The Periphery. The Audible Campaign opened.

I was really pissed at my camera for taking sucky pictures. I hope this isn't a permanent problem.

The Audible Campaign I've heard of before, and sadly, I expected more. I felt their bassist was the weakest link. I also felt like their singer was pretty weak. While I listened, I assumed that they'd never recorded before, because the vocalist tended to be flat in pitch. It seemed like he wasn't aware of how he was singing. But I later looked at the merch table and they had not one, but two CDs. One would think that after that much studio experience, a band would be more aware of what they sound like.

All that said, I think there's lots of potential. The actual songwriting was pretty good. Just seems like the delivery needs work.

Ironically, The Audible Campaign requested I be their friend after this show, and I hope they're not too hurt by this review of them, should they ever see it.

The Emily Shrine, on the other hand, sounded great.


This guitarist had the calmest stage presence I've seen. He was like watching a lava lamp or an aquarium of fish (Hi, Marco).


Some other band played, but for the life of me I can't remember who they were. Here's the guitarist/singer.

He kinda look like Brian Moss from The Ghost.
The bassist had the same bass as me. Just a different color. Probably not the same exact model. I don't think his has stereo output (or what Rickenbacher has termed "rick-o-sound").