Saturday, September 03, 2005

artyPay

Last night I ended up at going-away party for my buddy Leidy, who's leaving Chicago to make it as a hairdresser in the big apple. The party invite said to bring pictures for new york and featured a drawing of Leidy's boyfriend, Mike. I didn't have any pics of Leidy, so I brought my watercolor set and painted one on the spot. Leidy seemed to like it pretty well. He was wearing the glasses he bought from my shop and loved that he looked "like an old man." Even moreso in the painting.

This party is near to the one I went a few months ago where my skateboard was stolen. That skateboard I had bought while living in France in 1999, so it had sentimental value. My good buddy, Gnat, surprised me last month with a new (refurbished) skateboard with a stencil of my dog, Racecar, on it. So now I have a great new board with even more sentimental value.

Anyway, not ones to just have a party and let it go at that, there was of course a performance to accompany the evening. I guess that Meghan and Bruce (and another girl who's name escapes me) thought about Leidy leaving Chicago and wanted to celebrate staying in Chicago and celebrating the wonderful city in which we all live. The performance involved spoken words about a "pie of yes," "bridges," "golden fingers," and used props like a pie of yes, a shoe, rubber gloves with painted gold fingers and a dental bridge. It was actually kinda gross. Anyway, it was an endearing send-off for Leidy and a re-affirmation that staying in Chicago is as much a "golden" opportunity and leaving to follow your dreams.

There were a bunch of gender-queer people at the party so my dreams this morning seemed to be about gender. Specifically I remember a bunch of people talking about the etymology of the name "Bruce" and sort of talking a lot about gender and stuff. I don't remember details, but it seemed very in-depth. I'm reminded of this excellent book I read called Bee Season, by Maya Goldberg, which was about this young jewish girl who is a spelling protege and her father, who studies the Talmud and kabbalah fuses her spelling training with Jewish mysticism. In my dream, I remember all these words having really profound mystical implications, but after I woke up I couldn't remember any of them. Plus, I had a hangover.

Anyway, fun party.