Monday, May 17, 2004

New Dream.

Also, a little reporting on some Found Objects.


It was a very productive weekend. I finished a large box, which will be on display at some space downtown in June. I'm not sure of the details yet, but they will be posted. Oh yes, they will. I was in my studio for probably a total of 18 hours out of 48 on Saturday and Sunday. No more progress was made on the portrait colors project, but I did sell two of my old paintings to a friend. She got em real cheap, too. They are both paintings from when I studied in France 5 years ago (ugh - getting old). Here they are:




The first one is an oil and the second, obviously, is a watercolor. My instructors in Aix-en-Provence (France) always told me I had a style that was washy and looked watercolor-esque, so the two make a good display pair.

Since we're on the subject of art, here's the second and final installment of Art Chicago 2004.


Vic Muniz is possibly my favorit living photographer. He creates elaborate copies of famous images out of strange materials. In the past, he's used Hershey's chocolate syrup and spaghetti. Here, he's used a collection of brightly colored toys to create a likeness of a famous Don Quixote image (I can't remember the original artist's name right now). Pretty cool, huh?



Stephen Knapp creates compositions of pure light by projecting light at color glass panels. The result is pretty interesting. This image is not quite as vibrant as in person, but it definitely has close to the same feeling. To give a sense of size, I'd say this "painting" had dimensions of about 3'X4'.



I took this photo specifically for one person. You know who you are. I didn't even take the artist's name. I thought it was of some noteworthiness that two different "fine" artists chose comic books as subject matter, though.



This guy is my favorite Chicago artist. I actually own a very small piece that he executed for Art Chicago 2000. He only made four pieces of this size and has never made any others. This piece was hanging horizontally, but I changed the direction so you can see it a little better in my silly-sized image area (which will change in about a month - I hope - when the hub redesign is complete). His name is Pancho Quilici. He utilizes several disciplines to create these elaborate artifacts. There are elements of drawing, technical drafting, sculpture, painting and collage. There is an overwhelming sense of geometric harmony and of precision. Here is a detail shot (though not a very good one):


There's a lot going on, but it's difficult to tell with these crappy images. There's this almost jewel-like quality to that center item. It looks almost like some future-bug trapped in a perfectly round and clear amber resin. And then there's a plastic casing around all of that which projects pretty far from the rest of the image. Surprisingly, this whole piece, which was about 6 feet wide by about 2.5 feet tall, was only around $6,000 if I remember correctly. In 2000, he had a piece of similar size that was going for nearly $20,000, if memory serves, but perhaps it was even bigger and my memory sucks as it is, so don't quote me, please.



Nathan Slate Joseph was commissioned to do a bunch of similar panels for the restaurant 160 Blue several years ago. They are large panels consisting of several sheets of oxidizing metals. The oxidization provides the interesting and rich colors. Very heavy pieces. Not good for people who move a lot.



This guy is named Martin Mull - I'm not sure if it's the same Martin Mull who is the actor, but if it is, it's pretty good. Very charming and surreal painting/collages. I think I recall reading somewhere that the actor Martin Mull was painting, but again, I could be wrong. In any even, I like these works.

Finally, a Dahli.



Though I saw a huge show of his works on paper, I still am not used to seeing anything but his paintings. I really enjoyed the lightness of this piece. In a way, the realism of his paintings make them so heavy to me, sort of in a way that almost turns me off. Maybe I'm just in a mood.....