Saturday, November 13, 2004

Since MySpace doesn't take RSS

New Found Object on the Found Site.

So, I implemented something called RSS feed from this site, which creates a sort of syndication feed that allows other programs (friendster, for example) and browsers to carry the feed elsewhere on the net automatically without me having to cut and paste and repost. MySpace doesn't (yet) offer this capability, though they have their own proprietary blogging interface. What's great about MySpace (and those Internet-based communities in general) is that other MySpacers can "subscribe" to blogs. So far I have two subscribers on MySpace, though I've never seriously only blogged 5 times and never really gave it much thought. Now I want to accomodate that "audience," but definitely don't want to create new content because I don't really have the time or, well, that much life to talk about. So, I'm going to start cutting and pasting posts from this blog into my MySpace blog. We'll see what happens. Occasionally I'll have original content for the MySpace venue and who knows, maybe this whole thing will morph and it will one day be all original.

Recently, I posted on Craigslist that I was looking for an illustrator to draw a comic I wrote a while back. It's a script that I really have a fondness for and I'd really love for something to happen with it. I got three responses and each was pretty different. One girl was very mean. She called me an asshole and wished me luck in finding someone to draw it for free. She called herself literally starving and told me to learn how to draw it myself. The second person was enthusiastic and asked me to send the script right away, but I first asked to see some of his sample pages. He sent them to me and they were phenomenal. I sent him the script and awaiting his response. If I wasn't so confident about the script I would feel more nervous, which I am a little, but I'm putting on a brave face. The third person was somewhere in between and asked to see a copy of my story and sort of said that since I hyped my story so much that it was like I was killing it in its infancy or something. I didn't reply to this guy, but maybe I will still. He had a good point, but he just didn't seem to express it in a friendly way. Anyway, I really hope the second guy likes my script. I also emphasized that I have other scripts in different styles, if they might appeal to him more.

How come nobody ever bookmarks me on Friendster? I have like a million visible bookmarks, you'd think someone besides some girl who Frank knows would find me at least remotely noteworthy. OK, self-pity session over.