Tuesday, October 04, 2005

6 movies and 5 television episodes later

I got sick over the end of the weekend. The flu. It was during this time that I am in the 6-at-a-time category of Netflix. I don't have any television service. No Cable and no network television, so Netflix is my only passive entertainment. When you're sick, you don't really like reading or doing stuff like that.

I watched:
Daredevil
Elektra
The Day After Tomorrow
Maria Full of Grace
Overnight
Donnie Darko


Donnie Darko is the only one I've seen before. It's in my collection, though I don't own it. I think it's Erik's. I've been meaning to ask him if he wants it back. Either way, it was a good re-watch.

Elektra was better than Daredevil.

The Day After Tomorrow was aight. I think it had the same guy from Donnie Darko, interestingly.

Maria Full of Grace was good. I was surprised it was written by some white guy indie filmaker. Weird.

Overnight was about this guy who was in a band and wrote a screenplay and both his band and his screenplay were about to break and his cockiness kind of came out and he pissed off Harvey Weinstein, who is basically God of Hollywood and everything went to hell. This guy was so cocky, it was kind of painful to watch. I had to wonder how much of the footage was picked to show just this aspect of him. It's so hard to tell. It was a documentary. A decent watch for people who like looking inside hollywood. Fans of Project Greenlight might like this.

So, I stayed home from work for two days and on the second day I worked on this photo project I've been sort of planning for many years. After years of going to shows, I have lots of long-exposure photos of bands which start to look abstract. I cropped 2" x 2" digital images, printed them on nice kodak fancy paper through a service, and then matted and framed 16 prints in 5 1/2" clip frames. They look pretty good. I'm hoping to hang them in my apartment tonight and take an installation photo. S'funny, all 16 prints pretty much fit in a 2' x 2' sqare. They look pretty awesome, though. Two in particular look kinda like Rothko paintings; they're my favorites. I figure these pieces have double marketing potential: someone who likes abstract photography with lots of wild color can like them, and someone who's into indie bands could also like them. Probably if anyone buys them (I think I'm only gonna be selling them for like $30-$40), they'll be fans of both. Bands I have pictures of include: Appleseed Cast, Bear Vs. Shark, Minus The Bear, Liars, Three Dollar Bill, Terminus Victor, Life at Sea, and Sleeping at Last. Obviously, this means I have multiple piictures of a few bands. Fortunately most of the bands I have multiples of are more popular ones.

Also I've completed some other new art projects and started some new ones. I'm hoping my crappy camera will take some decent pictures, but if not I may have to just break down and get a new one. Spending money sucks.