Saturday, June 24, 2006

What I did on my New York Vacation Day 1

So, a few weeks ago, I went to New York.

One of my first visits was to the new Apple Store.

Kinda like the entrance to the Louvre, the I.M. Pei-inspired entrance is a glass edifice with stairs (and an elevator) descending into the subterranean store.

The inside of the store was pretty typical. I didn't buy anything or anything. Of course, we played Which-apple-store-employee-would-you-sleep-with, which is always fun.

There was some sort of Indian celebration going on and this parade of people was exiting Central Park as we approached.

While leaving the park, I noted to myself that in New York, even the way they park the horse-and-carriages is somehow magical, fairy-tale-like. Note how the drivers get the horseys to put their little front hooves on the curb. It's so cute.

Also, I noted this fellow

who reminded me of a painting by Jean-August-Dominique Ingres, called The Large Odalisque.

Also also in the park (but maybe this was Washington park? -I forget), was this installation but my favorite living installation artist, Sarah Sze. The piece is a mirror image of the top of a building that faces the park. If you were to look up right behind you as you look at this, you'd see the top of the building, which, as I said, looks just like this. Except, of course, inside, there's not all these household items arranged neurotically.

Another view:

With my gracious hosts, Andrew and Marco, we explored the new Time Warner building, which is actually two seperate skyscrapers connected by one large commercial shopping/dining base.

Here's an amazing view from the sixth or seventh floor.