Friday, October 17, 2008

Edward II

I went to see Edward II last night at the upstairs theatre of the Chicago Shakespeare theatre. The aforementioned link is to a review from the reader, which is a bit ambivalent, but I liked it very much. I would highly recommend this play to anyone. What was really cool was that half the tickets available were "promenade" tickets, where the audience sits amid the action of the play. The other half of the tickets were for what the director called "zoo seats," above the stage. It was very interesting to have the actors be sometimes inches from your face, yelling, crying, laughing sodomizing. Yes, I said sodomizing. That happened at the very end, and it was with a hot poker and it made a woman and her daughter walk out. The acting was excellent, the set design so moody and dark and the costuming made me want to change my whole wardrobe. Kind of a Polo Ralph Lauren meets Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

Tonight: Hercules and Love Affair at the Metro.

Labels: ,