Thursday, May 27, 2004

Feast of Fools and the Art of Found Objects

Last night I went to see a cabaret show called Feast of Fools at Schuba's in Chicago. Frankly, it was not very good. It had a lot of potential, but it didn't seem very well-rehearsed. One major issue was that there were only three mics and like 7 people in the cast. The place isn't even that big. It seemed like they could have just as easily suspended all three microphones and done what most actors would do: project. I hate to say it, because I really like some of the cast members, but I also know that they're capable of better, so if this is ever seen by them, they'll get some honest criticism. I know they may get a write up in the Free Press next week. I'm curious what they'll say. There were individual performances by guests including Patty Elvis, the lesbian Elvis impersonator and this gay male folk singer Brady Earnhart, both of whom were very good. Abby Schachner was this kind of pseudo stand-up/performance artist who sang humorous songs while smoking and swinging around a pork chop (which she called a steak) on string. All in all, it was a really visceral and memorable evening with lots of color and sound and even a strong message about the evils of pharmaceutical companies throwing circuit parties, but like I said, it didn't all come together and I wish it had.

_________

In other news, my own found object-based visual art will be on display at a prime downtown location starting Saturday, May 29th all the way to June 26th. It's part of a play, Love Pollution, written by my friend Allan Conkle, being performed every weekend in June. You can get lots of information at www.nomenil.com. There's all sorts of stuff going on, including bands playing, stand-up comedy and other artists exhibiting. I've seen the space and it's very...interesting.