Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Visitors and New Yorkiness

One of my very special friends, Joe Martine, from New York, breezed through Chicago on Monday night. We had an excellent time. Mainly it was just good to hang out and meet his two very sweet and creative friends, Melissa and John. The three of them, and our local friend, George Ann, visited my new apartment and met Racecar, my dog. Got to see my ultra cool art studio and we spent some time out on the town.

Back in the day, Joe and I, as well as many of our friends from that time (high school) used to go every week to a teeny bopper dance club called "Off The Alley." The entrance was through an alley. Anyway, one of the DJs there now DJs at Berlin on Monday nights. He DJs retro music. Readers of this sight may remember other visits to Retro night at Berlin. This past monday was similarly unpopulated. The five of us were the only ones on the dance floor for the hour or so that we were there. It was great for us, though.

We also went to Green Dolphin Street for Boom Boom Room, which was also a great time, but certainly way more packed.

At one point during the night, we stopped at Walgreens and I bought Joe a pen from the Apprentice TV show that says something. Listen to it now, why don't you?

this is an audio post - click to play


Most of all, it was nice to have these people come into my new hope and be really postive about it. Even in its current state of budding development, they were able to see its intrinsic potential. They had only nice things to say, which was very gratifying.

I met up with Joe, Melissa and John the next day for lunch as well. Melissa wanted desperately to pick up a record of an indigenous Chicago band. Her top pick wasn't available at Reckless. I actually don't remember what she ended up getting. I do remember that she highly recommended a band called Neu! to me when I told her that I liked the band Stereolab.

That morning we talked a lot about music, particularly about life-changing albums. Bands like Dead Kennedys, Hot Water Music, Appleseed Cast, The Vaselines, Brian Eno, and many others were mentioned.

I gave each visitor a Farewell Society CD. I wonder what they'll think.

Also we talked about "music listening in the Digital Age." Particularly, we talked about how fractured listening habits have become for many of us. Melissa is a die-hard Vinyl person, and she relishes the act of sitting quietly and listening to records. She conceded that she's a pretty lazy person, so she understands that she's mainly afforded this luxury because her personality allows for it. I'll have to admit that MP3's fit my mobile, always-active lifestyle, but at the same time, I really nostalgize the listening-to of single albums. Getting those playlists burned into my head, so that when I hear songs now from my high school days on the radio or wherever, upon a given song's end, I'll immediately play in my head the next song on the record. Nowadays, I rarely listen to whole albums. It's something that needs to change for me, and I think it will eventually.

Last night, Rick and I went to see the band Princess, whom I've seen now for the third time. I really like them. Readers may recall the last time I posted about them, and the fact that I sent them an email inquiring about them picking up another person. They'd never responded, but I went up to talk to them at the show and they remembered the email so we talked a bit. A "jam" session may be in the works, but they're about to go to Brooklyn for a show or two. The whole reason I'd gone up to them was to ask them for locations for where they're playing so I can tell Joe and his friends to see them, because I think they'd like them.

After Princess, this guy, Michael Columbia performed. He was backed up by this incredible drummer who was obviously trained in Jazz drumming. Just these beautiful, quirky precise rhythms on top of which were layered poppy synths and what may have been improvised saxophone. One of the most incredible feats by this duo was that BOTH of them would often play two instruments simultaneously. Michael would play a synthesizer melody and a counter melody on his saxophone while the drummer would play a very up-tempo and precise drum beat while playing a melody on a keyboard. It was CRAZY!. I was disappointed that I couldn't find them after their set to ask if they had a CD. But I guess it's for the best since I'm broke.

The Ofays UK were next. I listened to one song and left. They reminded me of the white stripes except instead of a guitar, there were a couple of synths. The drummer was also a little off. After the precision of Michael Columbia's drummer, it was hard to listen to someone who obviously needed to practice with a metronome a little more.

It did seem like most the people were there to see them, though. I guess I'm just "alternative."