Sunday, August 27, 2006

Lollapalooza Day 3

It's finally here: Lollapalooza Day 3. The main reason this took so long is that Day 3 is kind of a blur. Remember I talked about a certain kind of brownie that may or may not have altered my perceptions about things? Well, there seemed to be some sort of cumulative effect happening, because on the third day, I was really, to quote my good friend Joe Martine from high school, 'trippin' hard balls.'

We arrive and are walking toward a stage when we get distracted, for the first time, by the kidzapalooza stage. I can't remember what was playing (throughout the weekend, we'd heard a cover of the Ramones' Blitzkrieg Bop and a couple other wildly inappropriate for children numbers played with bubblegum pop sensibility), but we walked over and noticed that very young kids were playing, and playing quite well. They were from the real live School of Rock, which I guess is a school like in Fame except all the students learn how to play rock songs with complicated guitar solos and stuff like that.





The second band we saw on day 3 is Sparta.




Now, I'm a moderate fan of Sparta, but I have to say that every time I hear them, I just hear unrealized great songs by At The Drive-In. I've said before that Sparta took all that was mellow and melodic from ATDI and Mars Volta took everything that was aggressive and abrasive and alone, neither of them is dynamic enough to really hold interest for the listener.

Then I saw a bunch of cute guys.






I was told to watch Hot Chip, but while we were walking toward their stage, we heard these guys playing.





They were called The Benevento-Russo Duo. Despite being two guys with a drum set and a bunch of keyboards, their music was really full-sounding and held my interest. I really enjoyed them.

After their set, guess which totally hot roadie made a reappearance?




Yum.

One more kinda cute guy on our way to see 30 Seconds to Mars.



30 Seconds to Mars, I guess, features the guy from My So-Called Life, the wildly popular, but shortly run teen drama. I can't remember his name. Anyway, it was hard to get close to the stage, but can that guy twirl!!! He was just runnin' around like a crazy member of an 80's hair rock band! Very impressive.




Things start getting fuzzier around now. I don't remember why we didn't go see Matisyahu (maybe we did?), or Of Montreal or She Wants Revenge or if we went to watch Queens of the Stone Age or not. I have no pictures to tell me. I think we did watch Queens, because I remember that we were leaving and specifically not seeing Broken Social Scene, whom I really really enjoy. Ah well, here's the last decent picture I though worth posting from Lollapalooza, 2006.